Thursday 24 August 2017

Volucella zonaria at Garnwen and weekly hoverfly roundup

While the other boys in the valley have recorded this species, I've spent the last 2 1/2 years in hope that I finally get one. Today was that day, But I didn't expect to see one up Garnwen feeding on Common Ragwort along a forestry path. My 116th hoverfly for the valley out of a combined total of 120 so far, but I have quite a few species awaiting Det'ing at the end of the year that will also be new.

Weather has been poor for August and have thus far recorded 43 species, last year in August I recorded 63, so some fine settled weather is needed and more searching at the lower end of the valley may bare fruits. Some photos of the last week are below.


 Volucella zonaria - new for me
and again same fly
 Eristalis nemorum
 Meliscaeva cinctella
 Syrphus ribesii
 Eristalis pertinax
 Syritta pipiens
 Eristalis horticola
Cheilosia illustrata - just about finished for the year

No comments: