Monday 25 June 2018

Iceland 2018 (part 2) - the plants

I don't usually take photos of flowers when I go away, but this time I had enough time to do so. So here are the photos of various plants I took. I hope I've ID'd them right, Mike Powell will look them over for confirmation.

 Arctic Bartsia
 Alpine Catchfly
 Arctic Poppy
 Common Butterwort
 Common Scurvy-grass
 Cypress Spurge - Interesting notes on this species is that it is not on the Iceland list and is regarded as an invasive species that was thought eradicated in 1954. So I may have to find someone in Iceland to report the sighting. Also Germander Speedwell in foreground.
 Moss Campion
 Mountain Avens - The national flower of Iceland
 Nootka Lupin - another invasive plant to Iceland and has taken over large areas of the island. It grows so densely that it kills or stops native plants and lichens growing. Iceland is gearing up to try to eradicate this species.
 Roseroot
 Sea Campion, with Field Forget-me-not in the centre
Wild Pansy.

No comments: