Friday 19 May 2017

Bryn Cynan, Llangynwyd

A fine day so plenty of blooms and hoverflies. New blooms for the year included Bugle, Pencilled Cranesbill, Wallflower [presumed escape], Lesser Spearwort, Sanicle, Woodruff, Wood Forget-me-not, Yellow Pimpernel and Midland Hawthorn. 22 species of hoverfly with best being my first photo of Sericomyia lappona, I also have 2 specimens which I've keyed out as Platycheirus peltatus and Pipiza noctiluca both of which would be new for valley. I'll send them off at the end of the year for confirmation with the HRS. Although I have a photo of the Platycheirus (see below). Micropterix calthella were out in huge numbers today.

 Sericomyia lappona
 Paltycheirus species that keys out to "peltatus" [confirmed as peltatus sl. from photo - new for valley by HRS]
 Cheilosia illustrata - 1st of year for me
 Cheilosia albitarsis agg.
Micropterix calthella

No comments: