Thursday 13 July 2017

Garnwen tracks

Bit cloudier today but still 21c although it didn't feel like at times. Only 20 species of hoverfly recorded as the late summer blooms of Hemp Agrimony, Angelica and Feverfew have not yet bloomed, so the main flowering plants are what's left of the Bramble and a few Hogweed plants. These 2 weeks are pretty quiet up Garnwen, nevertheless I thought I'd give it a go. Highlights for hoverflies being 3 Baccha elongata, Scaeva pyrastri and Sericomyia silentis.

Other insects included the Green Leafhopper (Cicadella viridis) and the first of the year for the scarce longhorn beetle Stictoleptura rubra (female with red thorax). Otherwise Red Hemp Nettle was my 300th flower/tree/shrub since I started recording first blooms of the year in 2016.

 Cicadella viridis - adult above, nymph below

 Common Shrew - I think, soon to be feast for Carrion Beetles
 Stictoleptura rubra - female
 Scaeva pyrastri - continental migrant
Sericomyia silentis

No comments: