Friday 17 August 2018

Gilfach (west), Top Llangynwyd

A cold, cloudy, windy day meant when I arrived I had little choice but to shelter from the wind by walking the forestry tracks. I was not expecting much and that's exactly what I got. Only 14 species of hoverfly recorded with nothing special, but it was nice to see Meliscaeva cinctella (26) and Meliscaeva auricollis (9) in fair numbers as they have been absent during the heatwave we just had.

Every cloud has a silver lining as they say. While looking at Angelica for hoverflies I noticed a small well marked moth on the next plant and it turned out to be Phaulernis fulviguttella, a Nationally Scarce B moth with only one previous record in Glamorgan, that being 2002 @ Afon Argoed (MJW) about 7kms away from where I was but the same mountain ridge. Only other insects of note were good numbers of 10-spot Ladybird and a Golden-ringed Dragonfly patrolling.

 Phaulernis fulviguttella - above and below [new for valley, 2nd record for Glamorgan]

 10-spot Ladybird
 Eristalis pertinax
Eupeodes female - potted this one and it turned out to be the commonest species "corollae"

No comments: