Wednesday 24 October 2018

Bits and Bobs last couple of days

After returning from Cornwall on Monday from ticking off the American Grey Catbird [my 400th British species], I have been visiting a few areas around the valley to see what's left and with the slim hope I might find something rare but to no avail. Today was warm for October and hit 17c by 1300hrs. But the next few days the weather is going to change due to stiff northerly winds and it has been forecast that on Saturday it will only be 5C during the day. Vapourer moths are now on the wing and I had 7 fly-bys today around Mynydd Bach. Surprisingly I also had three species of butterfly in Red Admiral, Small Copper and Speckled Wood. Hoverflies amounted to 11 flies of 6 species with the notably scarce Rhingia rostrata, my 4th of the year as the pick of the bunch. I continue to take photos of fly leaf-mines to fill the quiet periods and acquired another species. Again no Ring Ouzels at My. Bach, only 21 Meadow Pipits noted.

 Rhingia rostrata - at Halfway House, Llangynwyd, the same place I had one last year on the 1st November.
 Small Copper - on Yarrow at Waun-y-Gilfach Llangynwyd.
 Speckled Wood - also at Waun-y-Gilfach
 Common Shiny Woodlouse (Oniscus asellus) - My Bach top farm ruins.
Phytomyza cytisi - fly leaf-mine on Laburnum at Maesteg Cemetery entrance.
Hornet - there was an amazing 36 of this species feeding on Ivy and flying round Japanese Knotweed at the lane to Lletty Brongu sewage works. Up until this autumn I had only ever seen one before and that was at Bridgend Hospital 10 years ago. My total for this autumn is now over 50 and I have also recorded them at Maesteg Cemetery, Blaencaerau and Gilfach (west), Llangynwyd.

No comments: