Monday 27 May 2019

Blaencaerau

We had a rather overcast and cooler day, but we did have sunnier intervals between 1000-1200hrs, so I made the most of it. After a bit of back records checking I find that I'm on 99 species of hoverfly for the site and my objective for the day was to try and break the 100 barrier - I failed, but I did get 22 species of hoverfly and new for the year in Merodon equestris and Xanthogramma citrofasciatum. The most numerous species was again Cheilosia albitarsis (47). There were some nice records in Chrysotoxum arcuatum (1), Xanthogramma pedissequum (1), Rhingia rostrata (1) and Eumerus strigatus (2).

Not much else about in the gloom but Common Blue (5) butterfly were noticeable and Bee numbers dropped dramatically. The only other species worth mentioning was a Bronze Shieldbug on Hawthorn. Birds were nothing special.

 Merodon equestris
 Riponnensia splendens
 Xanthogramma citrofasciatum
 Bronze Shieldbug

No comments: