Saturday 26 October 2019

Hoverfly season almost over

I've been visiting the valley's Ivy patches as they are all that's left for flies to feed on this autumn. The weather has also been unkind and there have been very few fine days. So it's no surprise that there are only a few common species still on the wing. I might get odd records during November and December but the season is certainly almost over. Sericomyia silentis is about the best record (19th Oct) and highest count was 6 Melanostoma scalare (20th Oct) and they are also the latest species to be seen so far this year (22nd Oct).

Other insects are few and far between with Green Shieldbug still present and late showing of Red Admiral and Comma butterflies.

I've sent my specimens to the hoverfly recording scheme, so there should be some new for the valley records there. I'll update when I receive a reply.

Probably the last "tidy" record of the year (19th Oct) - Sericomyia silentis on Ivy at Maesteg cemetery.

No comments: