Sunday 2 May 2021

Lletty Brongu woods

 Temperatures peaked at only 13c today. When I entered the woods the wind was easterly, when I left 2 hours later it had become south-westerly and strengthening. Nevertheless the sun traps within the woods held good numbers of hoverflies. I recorded 25 species, new for the year were Baccha elongata (1), Platycheirus tarsalis (1), Dasysyrphus albostriatus (1), Eupeodes luniger (1), Leucozona lucorum (2), Sphaerophoria scripta (1) and Xylota segnis (5). Most numerous were Neoascia species (200) [probably all podagrica, 10 checked to confirm], Melanostoma scalare (85), Platycheirus albimanus (65), Eristalis pertinax (58) and Rhingia campestris (22). Good records included Epistrophe eligans (2) and Chalcosyrphus nemorum (2).

Both birds and other insects were the run of the mill species, but I did have my first Green-veined White butterfly of the year.

Leucozona lucorum
Syrphus ribesii
Xylota segnis
Comma


No comments: