Saturday 16 July 2022

Cemetery area

 A scorching 27c with very light breeze meant that most insects were hiding from the direct sunlight. I managed to find 13 species of hoverfly only. With nothing worthy of note amongst them. However the micro moth Pammene aurana was out in good numbers (18). I also stumbled on the longhorn beetle Rutpela maculata and a few six-spot Burnet moths. Unlike other insects butterflies were loving the sunshine with Ringlet being very noticeable amongst the taller grass areas.

On Thursday over Caerau there were 17 juvenile swift screaming about. I located 6 nests this year, so that's about right, although there maybe one more that I missed somewhere. The George Street colony (4 pairs) were leaving their nests as I passed by, with the adults flying close to the rooves coaxing them out and they all came out at once flying just above my head which was quite spectacular. I used to see this regularly when I was younger but not so much now.

Melangyna compositarum
Cheilosia illustrata
Chrysogaster solstitialis
Pammene aurana
Rutpela maculata
6-spot Burnet


No comments: