Wednesday 5 September 2018

Drysiog

A warm day with temperatures just tipping 20c. The Japanese knotweed is just staring to bloom and should be quite an attraction to hoverflies in ten days time, For now I recorded 19 species on or around it, with Meliscaeva Cinctella topping 140. Others on or around the area included Baccha elongata, Paragus sp., Myathropa florea and Sericomyia silentis amongst the commoner species.

A surprise was 2 juvenile and female Common Pheasant in the undergrowth and an obliging Southern Hawker. Usual beetles and bees. 6 species of butterfly on the Buddleah headed by 3 Painted Lady. Also photographed the Wild Angelica leaf mine of the fly Phytomyza angelicae which is new for me. Lastly I came across a Hawkbit species (flower) whose leaves don't match anything in my books so I'll have to do a bit of research before I can put a name to it. I'll update when confirmed.

 Meliscaeva cinctella
 Baccha elongata
 Leucozona laternaria
 Southern Hawker
leaf mine on Wild angelica of the fly Phytomyza angelicae

No comments: