Tuesday 7 April 2020

Out and about

I have been locked out of my google account for the last few days, so I have not been able to update my blog, so I'll condense it all into one post. I'm off work for at least 3 weeks due to the lockdown, but daily exercise allowance means I can still get about locally.

 On the hoverfly front new for the year include Melanostoma scalare, Cheilosia pagana, Platycheirus scutatus and Eristalis tenax, sadly all common. Still no sign of Melangyna quadrimaculata or Cheilosia grossa despite intensive searching.

Butterflies are starting to emerge in good numbers, just today at Lletty Brongu woods I had Small Tortoiseshell (4), Peacock (5), Brimstone (3), Comma (3) and a male Orange Tip. All other insect families are pretty much as expected for this time of year.

On the bird front had my first Swallow (5th) and Blackcap (7th). I also had a large pipit very briefly on a deserted Maesteg Golf Course and it took flight and flew over towards Garnwen and the recently named obesity trail. It did not call but my instincts and brief views would suggest Richards Pipit, but we'll never now. Other species seen included Crossbill, Stonechat and Reed Bunting.

All spring flowers are blossoming, with Early Dog violet now making way for Common Dog violet. Ramsons flowers are starting to open and my first Cuckoo Flower of the year was in bloom on the 7th.

 pair of Swallow at Maesteg Golf Course
 Cuckoo Flower

Finally a mystery hoverfly stood out amongst the other small ones at Blaencaerau. When I took the photograph I initially thought it was maybe a male Melanostoma mellinum, but looking at the photograph it appears to be a Platycheirus of either the clypeatus or peltatus groups. I'll run it past Roger Morris and update when I get a reply.

No comments: