Thursday 16 April 2020

Valley lowlands

A few trips around the lower valley at Lletty Brongu woods and Pont Rhyd-y-Cyff lanes over the last couple of days, has taken my hoverfly year list to 20 species. New for the year include Syrphus ribesii, Epistrophe eligans and Rhingia campestris. I also potted a Brachyopa which under a hand lens it appeared to be "pilosa", but I then managed to lose/drop the pot during the day before I could get it home for identification under magnification. I dropped it somewhere along the path by the sewage works outfall but couldn't relocate it, so keep an eye out if you're down there🙏. Melangyna lasiophthalma are still out in good numbers, so far this year I have seen 51 individuals, a record by a long way (previous best was 12).

 Rhingia campestris
 Syrphus ribesii
Green-veined White

No comments: