Friday 10 April 2020

Three squares down

With a lull in new species for the next 2 weeks and a rather warm 23c, I took the opportunity to walk three 0 recorded 1km squares for hoverflies to put them on the map. I was successful in all three which were

[SS8892]   Foel Gwilym Hywel, Maesteg (P. albimanus)
[SS8791]   Bryn De Faid, Maesteg (P. albimanus, M. cinctella, E. pertinax)
[SS8792]   Mynydd Bach (Pant-y-ffald), Maesteg (P. albimanus)

I also came across the first three Tree Pipit in the valley for me this year, all were displaying but rather surprisingly no Redstart. Still good numbers of butterflies headed by Peacock (7) and plenty of the moth Adela cuprella (25+) around sallow blossom and the beetle Green Tiger Beetle (25+) on the dry forestry secondary tracks.

 Tree Pipit
Meliscaeva cinctella

2 comments:

Paul Parsons said...

Adela cuprella are the longhorns that "dance" over sallow Martyn.

Martyn Hnatiuk said...

So it is, Schoolboy error on my part.