Sunday 5 May 2024

Garnwen (Saturday)

 The lack of sunny days means hoverfly numbers are below average for the time of year. I only recorded 10 species where I should be expecting 20+. Best of which were Parasyrphus malinellus (1),Parasyrphus punctulatus (3) and Dasysyrphus albostriatus (2). No species exceded 5 individuals.

Dasysyrphus albostriatus
Parasyrphus punctulatus

Parasyrphus species - which can't be identified from the photo, so I potted this one and later found it to be Parasyrphus malinellus.


The Blackthorn blossom has been very poor this year, so I was happy to see a single tree in good blossom and this is where I recorded most of the species today. 

Otherwise the only other insect of note was a bloody-nosed beetle'
On the bird front I saw my first Whitethroat of the year as well as other summer migrants Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler.

Bloody-nosed beetle




No comments: